Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Yankie in the Dirty South...

Ok so I'm hella late on this update but geez the pics we had to sort through!
We went to NOLA Thursday pm to pic up B from the airport and we drove strait to our little bed and breakfast. B called it a bungalow...I loved that!
It was so charming and sweet! We stayed at the Royal Barracks Guesthouse on Barracks Street in the French Quarter a block from Bourbon Street. The location was amazing and we got a great deal on the price.
The walls had cobalt blue subway tiles, it had a custom made bunk bed with working lamp posts and the bathroom sink was set in a wooden barrel. It was so funky and fun. Exactly the feeling I was going for for Beth's stay in NOLA!



After a little freshening up, we headed out.
First stop, Pat O's for hurricanes...

..lots of hurricanes! Delish hurricanes! Strong hurricanes!

Since it was crazy cold...I mean CRAZY, we sat in the piano bar. We normally wouldn't think to hang out there...but I'm so glad we did because we had a blast.
They played everything from Pour Some Sugar on Me to Piano Man! So I had to make a special request of my own. Despite my tiny little $3 tip, they were impressed with my selection and played it right away!! I was SO excited and very sorry for the poor people sitting next to us as I sang Sweet Child 'O Mine at the top of my lungs! A blast i tell ya!

So after getting all amped up there we couldn't just call it a night like that...
We went on to Cat's Meow and sang some more...although by this point I was on strait Coca Cola and David was running on Red Bull. We were probably the most alert people in the place!

And what NOLA trip would be complete without a trip to Cafe du Monde? Beth was quite impressed with these fried dough concoctions!

I totally LOVE the culture and architecture of New Orleans. LOVE it. I've always wanted to take a piece of this culture home with me. And what better way to do that than to purchase an authentic painting from a local street artist in Jackson Square?
And that's exactly what I did.
I got this amazing painting from the guy in the picture above. I adore the colors! It's a perfect abstract Louisiana cemetery scene. It has taken a prime spot in my living room already!

Also while in Jackson Square we visited St Louis Cathedral, a few shops and we toured a great Louisiana Mardi Gras museum.
And got a little inappropriate with the exhibits. *cough, cough*....

Moving right along...
And yes we did cheesy gift shop photo posing. Love that too!
And with that we were off to head back to our house

Friday night we went to a local place to see a New Orleans cover band called the Chee Weez...
Another amazing time was had. The band was dressed as the New Orleans Saints with war paint on and all...and they shared to hot girls in the front row! LOL!

Man that was a great night.

1 comment:

Beth said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I loved reading it all! I am so glad you love that I called it a bungalow! lol and this is such a great post...it differs from mine b/c its from a different perspective and I love that!
and YES!!! WE HAD 265 PHOTOS TO SORT THROUGH! YOW!
I am soooooooo hungry! I could sooooo go for some beignets right now!