Thursday, September 07, 2017

Did I mention I *heart* Mod Podge?

So recently I applied for an amazing design team for a scrapbook/paper craft kit club and I had to create some exclude items to submit to that call.  This is a couple of things I created during that time.
 I've been having this sweet little (but horribly outdated) jewelry box since middle school.  It was about time for a face lift.
 So I just sanded down the wood, removed the knobs and the padded panel at the top before starting.  Next I applied a thick coat of robins egg blue chalk paint.  Then came the fun part...MOD PODGE!  I trimmed some wonderful pattered paper from my planner society stash and mod podged it to the front of the drawers then over the top of the paper and smoothed it out to make sure there were not bubbles or wrinkles.  To finish it off I cut a small piece of vintage cross stitched linen (I think it was a scarf) and put it over the padded part and secured it back in place.  I also screwed the knobs back on and I was done.  Now it totally makes me smile every time I look at it and I can cherish it for years more to come!

The next project was just a plain kraft Heidi Swapp binder with a black and white spine when I started.

Again, I took vintage linens, lace, scrap paper (old Hambly I've been hoarding) and some burlap textured paper and just started layering till I liked the look.  When I was happy with the layout of it I stared applying the Mod Podge to the back of everything then over the front of it all as well to make it all adhear and become really stiff and all feel like part of the binder when it dried. 
I really love this technique.  I've done it to other books and to my journaling bible and it is one of my favorite things to do!

OH and PS...I made it on the design team I was applying for!  I'll post more about that later!  EEEEPPPP!

No comments: